- 1 small (13 oz) can pinto beans
- 1 small can kidney beans, or any combination
- 1 small can plum tomatoes (optional)
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped (optional)
- 1 TBSP canola or other vegetable oil
- 1 cup chicken, beef, or vegetable stock, or water
- 1 fresh or dried hot chile, seeded, stemmed, and minced, or to taste (optional)
- 1 bay leaf (optional)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (optional) OR 2 teaspoon ground cumin, or to taste (optional) and 1 teaspoon oregano minced fresh leaves or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano (optional)
- Minced cilantro leaves for garnish
ADD the (optional) chili pepper.
ADD the beans.
ADD the spices, stir.
ADD broth or water. Cook covered for 1/2 hour (longer on low heat if you want the ingredients to 'meld' as in a stew). Cook, uncovered, until chili is desired thickness.
SERVE with tortillas, optional shredded manchego or monterey, or grated parmesan cheese. You can also put an egg on top.